"Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy".
If you are looking for the best wine cabinet then there are a few mistakes that you should avoid. If you collect wine for enjoyment or as an investment then you need to store it at an optimal level.
1. You must differentiate between wine coolers and wine cabinets. Coolers keep wine at serving temperature .They have high temperature fluctuations but it does not matter much – as the wine is not being stored for long time. The wine coolers do not regulate humidity nor do not regulate the amount of light .However wine cabinets are used to store wine for long periods and in some cases years . They have to maintain an optimal storage temperature of about 55 to 60 degrees, which is warmer than the chilled temperature of wine coolers. They also have to regulate humidity as well as ensure low levels of light.
2. It is important to look into the wine racks inside the wine cabinet. They should be of adequate size especially as more and more wine is stored in large bottles. Racks have to be able to hold these larger bottles. For example Burgundy Pinot and champagne bottles don’t fit regular racks that have 3 and ¼ inch racks. They require 3 and ¾ inch racks . So make sure your wine cabinet has adequate number of larger than normal wine racks.
"Age appears to be best in four things; old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read."Francis BaconA man who was fond of wine was offered some grapes at dessert after dinner.— “Much obliged,” said he, pushing the plate aside; “I am not accustomed to take my wine in pills.”
3. Insulation . You must make sure that the wine cabinet is well insulated .If the wine cabinet is not well insulated then the cooling unit will have to keep running to maintain the required temperature. A minimum of 1 and ½ inch double quality insulation is the minimum you should accept.
4. Noisy cooling systems- One of the things you should focus on is the quality or type of cooling system that the cabinet has. Since cooling systems can run for as many as 18 hours in a day you don’t need one that is loud . If you make that mistake , it may keep you and your family awake at night as it comes on and goes off- in an effort to regular the temperature inside the cabinet.
5. Space requirement- Have you ever seen people who buy TVs which are simply too big for the rooms they have? Well you should not do that with wine cabinets. Some of them require clearance above or behind them. Some can be placed against the wall while others require up to seven inches of clearance behind them. So make sure you have enough space for the wine cabinet you want.
6. Warranty- A lot of people do not pay attention to their warranties. Its is important to make sure that you understand what is covered and what is not covered by the particular warranty. Is labor covered, are parts covered? Does the manufactures send a replacement to you while working to repair your wine cabinet if anything ever goes wrong? Remember your wine needs to be protected even if your cooling system ever goes in for repairs.
7. Not planning for the future.-Most people fail to plan for the future , when they will have amassed more and more bottles of wine. In this case they buy wine cabinets which are adequate for current needs but not those of the year after. Don’t be one of those people. Make sure you plan for the future so you don’t have to buy a new wine cabinet every year.
"Under the pressure of the cares and sorrows of our mortal condition, men have at all times, and in all countries, called in some physical aid to their moral consolations - wine, beer, opium, brandy, or tobacco."